Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Gray but Far From a Gray Man.

He was a powerful figure to me and every time he entered a room, I felt his presence. It was good. The son of a pastor and former president of Florida Agriculture & Mechanical University, I always knew I was in the company of something special, great and unique.

As a confused teenager, he sat me down on the couch and told me pride would kill me. He looked me in the eyes and helped me understand the value of education.

When I got kicked out of Virginia Military Institute, he let me stay at his home, so I could make up lost credits at a local community college during the summer. Later that year, in one phone call he gave me a second chance to continue my education.

He is the reason why the president, Dr Perry Bronson, on my very first day at Bethune-Cookman University personally greeted me in his office and let me sit in his leather chair to pick my classes while every other student sat in long registration lines.

As long as a kept over a 3.0 GPA, I never had to work and could focus on education because of him. When my buddy needed a scholarship to stay in school, I called him and within days it was done.

He put me in rooms with former presidents, world-class athletes and the political elite. 

He often introduced me as his 4th son.

His birthday was August 20th and mine August 19th. That made me feel special.

When I took his car one summer night, he yelled at me. When, my grades slipped, he explained to me why I couldn't afford to be average. When I disregarded a phone bill that I ran up, he made me pay every cent of it. He held me accountable for everything.

Because of the way God shaped his heart, he had the tolerance to deal with a confused, prideful, angry, scared and arrogant kid. His blood and hands run through the spirit of the man you see today. 

Oh how I grieve.

I remember so many intimate moments and times where I would mimic him - the way he combed his hair, walked and talked.

My heart is heavy for his sons, my brothers, and for his wife, my mother. 

In the end, I find comfort in knowing that he has already heard the words, "Well done good and faithful servant."

Thank you Mr. Gray for every thing. (August 20, 1941 - June 1, 2013)

Kyle Christian Steele

2 comments:

  1. I remember you sharing about his impact on your life. Be encouraged and continue to live out his legacy. Psalm 116:15 Theresa Ordell

    ReplyDelete