Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Awkward Timing

Michelle Cloney is a high school classmate and founder of Le bibble, a 6-in-1 organic and designer cotton baby bottle bib that sops up leaks & dribbles while keeping baby focused on feeding. 

Michelle and I have known each other for over 20 years. Although we grew up in the same town and went to intermediate and high school together, our interaction has always been very limited. We simply didn't touch each other much and even 2 class reunions and the invention of Facebook couldn't push our conversations beyond "what's up's," "good to see you's" and "nice talking to ya's."

I've never could understand why our interactions were so limiting or awkward in my view. Matter of fact, during our recent class reunion, I felt our conversation became increasingly awkward because I simply did not possess the mental capacity to work through a dialogue of vague high school memories. In addition, Sir Mix-a-lot's "Baby Got Back" was blaring through the speakers, so instead of talking over this golden nugget, I'd rather "raise my hands up" on the dance floor. Frankly, whether it was that or any other night over the past 20 years, our timing has never been right until June 6th, 2013.

While cruising Facebook on this day, I saw a news segment done by a former classmate called "More US Women Becoming Breadwinners." As a man who looks forward to taking my place as the breadwinner in my future family, this title quickly grabbed my attention. While pushing the play button, I expected to see a male bashfest of epic proportion but instead saw a story centered around Michelle. As I began to watch, I noticed that Michelle was openly putting her humanity, vulnerability, hustle, love and sacrifice on full display to the world as she talked about her business and life. By the end of the video, less than 4 minutes was able to pull off what 20 years could never do, meaningfully connect me to Michelle Cloney.

The segment showed me that Michelle and I shared something very special  in common - entrepreneurship. Being entrepreneurs meant we've both jumped off the same cliff, fight the same fights, hold on to the same faith and dream the same dreams. Knowing we shared these experiences allowed me to truly understand the expressions on her face, tones in her voice and her word selection in a very unique way. Shortly after watching the video, I sent Michelle a thank you message for sharing her journey in a way that was inspiring and connecting. 

This is proof that Life's sense of appropriate timing is completely different from ours. I tend to want everything on my timing and when that doesn't happen, I disconnect and label the situation as awkward and meaningless. Thankfully, Life knows better because it structures timing with infinitely greater wisdom and foreknowledge in a manner that perfectly serves our greater need. In the case of Michelle Cloney, Life applied a timing that allowed her to fully impact me at the optimum point. Her impact filled in a missing and intangible component that helped me nail down a cornerstone deal for my business. So thanks Michelle and thank you God for your timing.

Kyle Christian Steele


   

No comments:

Post a Comment