Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Funk

After my ex-girlfriend and I ended our relationship, I went into a pretty bad funk. Funks suck and it doesn't matter if it's a relational funk, career funk or any other general funk that comes with life. And when funks come, they don't smell good, taste good, look good or feel good. Funk is funk and you can't slap some seasoning or perfume on it to make it taste or smell better.

Funk is a tricky thing because the manner in which you handle it will make a deference in how funky or unfunky that funk continues to get. Oh yeah, back to my ex. After our relationship ended, I could've spent my time blaming her for what I felt she did wrong but I didn't. Instead, I used my time to understand how I brought the funk onto myself. Funk is an awesome teacher if you sit down and breath her in. Funk will reveal things about your character that you just don't like and you have to make a choice to deal with it head on or run away. I chose to deal with it head on and as a result, life started feeling unfunky.

Many months later, I'm in a really healthy place and hopefully the lessons I learned will keep my future love life from becoming funky. In the end, funk is like manure. Manure stinks to high heaven and makes you gag. But to the wise person, manure, when used correctly, fertilizes the soil and helps produced wonderful fruits and vegetables that you can one day enjoy. Good things can grow out of funk.

Kyle Christian Steele

No comments:

Post a Comment